Golden Dragon Karate provides specialist education and training in Traditional (Shotokan Style) Karate, practical self-defense, fitness, life skills and character building. Using a combination of strategies, along with proven martial arts techniques and tactics, we teach people how to avoid and / or react in situations that could threaten your personal safety. We also aim to educate in mental fortitude, leadership, confidence and other qualities that contribute to success in all aspects of people lives. We aim to provide high quality, disciplined, engaging and practical training programs for children, teens, women and men of all ages.
1. Karate begins and ends with rei (respect). FYI – Bowing symbolizes this respect.
2. There is no first strike in karate.
3. Karate stands on the side of justice.
4. First know yourself, then know others.
5. Mentality over technique.
6. The heart must be set free.
7. Calamity springs from carelessness.
8. Karate goes beyond the dojo.
9. Karate is a lifelong pursuit.
10. Apply the way of Karate to all things. Therein lies its beauty.
11. Karate is like boiling water; without heat, it returns to its tepid state.
12. Do not think of winning. Think, rather, of not losing.
13. Make adjustments according to your opponent.
14. The outcome of a battle depends on how one handles emptiness and fullness(weakness and strength).
15. Think of hands and feet as swords.
16. When you step beyond your own gate, you face a million enemies.
17. Formal stances are for beginners; later, one stands naturally.
18. Perform prescribed sets of techniques, exactly; actual combat is another matter.
19. Do not forget the employment of withdrawal of power, the extension or contraction of the body, the swift or leisurely application of technique.
20. Be constantly mindful, diligent, and resourceful, in your pursuit of the Way.